KTCC Covid 19 Response: Community and Outreach Team
Here is a snapshot of what we have been doing within the Community & Outreach Team.
The Happiness Hampers Project is a partnership project with Kentish Town Community Centre (KTCC) and our 4 local primary schools: Torriano, Brecknock, St Kentish Town CoE & Patrick's Catholic School.
Around 200 families living in the Kentish Town area are benefitted from this project, but we know the numbers will rise over time. The families we are supporting are at risk of falling into food poverty because one or both of their parents may have lost their job as a result of COVID19.
· These families may have never claimed any sort of benefit before, but suddenly have no income.
· These families may never have accessed a food bank before and feel there is stigma in doing so.
· The family environment may be tense and stressful because of a sudden lack of income.
· These families, without help, may get into debt and risk becoming homeless if not supported.
The Happiness Hampers Project in numbers
· 213 families form the first wave of the Happiness Hampers project.
· Every two weeks the schools go with KTCC to Booker to get the food.
· Each school has a budget of £350 which to buy food, sometimes this is more.
· Each shopping trip costs around £1,500.
· There are around 10 items in a Happiness Hamper. Items vary from rice and lentils to cake and jams
· Every two weeks the families selected by the schools get a Happiness Hampers.
Early on we recognised that our lockdown was going to be centered about food. We wanted to ensure that we supported our community to be independent and have choices. In June we launched Kentish Town Cooks our meal-in-a-bag project.
We are still offering legal advice remotely, through phone calls with our legal adviser. We hope to provide money advice in the near future. Thanks to London Community Foundation for providing additional funding for this. Email to make a booking.
We are still committed to providing food to local people in need through our food pantry and other pop-up projects. We are collaborating with our local schools on the 'Happiness Hampers' project which aims to provide nice food treats to low income families in Kentish Town. Over 240 local families now benefit from this project.
Our Food Pantry is open. Our office is open Monday-Friday 10am-2pm if you'd like to take or donate to our pantry. Please call before you come and see us: 0207 482 3212